Реферат Курсовая Конспект
Ex.4 Practice reading - раздел Лингвистика, Раздел I. Сегментная фонетика Idioms, Sayings: He That Hath Ears To Hear, Let Him...
He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
If the cap fits, wear it.
Here today, gone tomorrow.
Five fat friars frying fish.
While there is life there is hope.
No smoke without fire.
Real weird rear wheels.
First come, first served.
Even a worm will turn.
It is the early bird that catches the worm.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
One good turn deserves another.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
The calm before the storm.
To put the cart before the horse.
A barking dog seldom bites.
Don’t take your harp to the party.
A bird is known by its note, and a man by his talk.
Adversity makes the man wise, not rich.
Through hardship to the stars.
Return good for evil.
Better unborn than untaught.
You can bring your horse to the water but you can’t make it drink.
rhymes and twisters:
An old woman, old woman, shall we go a – shearing?
Speak a little louder, sir, - I am very hard of hearing.
Old woman, old woman, shall I love you dearly?
Thank you, kind sir, I hear you very clearly.
How many boards
Could the Mongols hoards
If the Mongol hoards got bored?
“What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?”
I cannot bear to see a bear
Bear down upon a hare.
When bare of hair he strips the hare,
Right there I cry, “Forbear!”
Ex.5 Pick out the odd word:
1. term, clerk, serve, perfect.
2. target, farm, warm, market.
3. learn, earth, pearl, heart.
4. Vernon, terrible, merry, hurry.
5. word, work, world, war.
6. first, fur, far, turn.
7. girl, shirk, wire, birch, birth.
8. earn, learn, heart, early.
9. worm, worn, world, work.
10. nurse, lurk, hurry, hurt, suburb.
11. advertisment, university, reserved, western.
Ex.6 Put the words into three columns:
Tardy, sort, purge, war, heart, dormant, world, port, darling, warm, earn, lord, work, partake, furbish, learn, mortify, clerk, purblind, portly, sergeant, dart, further, partner.
Ex.7 Read the sentences:
1. I’d like to reserve a seat on the ten-thirty flight to Birmingham, on Thursday. My name is Vernon.
2. I’ll search under the fir trees and the birches, I’ll circle the earth – and I’ll return with a superb firm earthworm for my perfect turtledove.
3. Pearl will be thirty next birthday. Her perfume from Germany is perfect.
4. Gregory reported about this story with sarcasm, then he asked rhetorical question.
5. I always think about misfortune with a horror.
6. Barbara’s government had a very bad reputation.
7. Sorry, but I don’t like horror films, I prefer going to the theatre.
– Конец работы –
Эта тема принадлежит разделу:
Лингвогуманитарный колледж Учреждения образования... Минский государственный лингвистический университет... Раздел I Сегментная фонетика...
Если Вам нужно дополнительный материал на эту тему, или Вы не нашли то, что искали, рекомендуем воспользоваться поиском по нашей базе работ: Ex.4 Practice reading