Реферат Курсовая Конспект
Reading of a stressed vowel in its short meaning. Short vowels of the English language. - раздел Лингвистика, Раздел I. Сегментная фонетика If There Is No Indicator Of Length (It Means The Second Vowel Or A Combinatio...
If there is no indicator of length (it means the second vowel or a combination “gh” after a stressed vowel immediately or in one consonant) the English vowel is read shortly.
The short sound meaning of “e, i, o” almost coincides with the sound meanings of these letters in the Latin alphabet.
1) The letter “e” denotes the short sound [e] representing the first element of the diphthong [ei].
2) The letter “i” with the following consonants denote a very short sound [i].
3) The letter “o” in its short meaning is read as the short [ɒ].
4) Short sound meanings of the letters “u, a” in English differ from their sound meanings in the Latin alphabet. The letter “u” with following consonant denotes the short sound [ʌ] which reminds the Russian sound [a] in unstressed position.
5) The letter “a” denotes the short sound [æ] the longest of all short vowels. There is no such equivalent in Russian. For the correct pronunciation of the sound [æ] it is necessary:
ü to put the force part of the tongue low and to put the tip of the tongue lower. It causes comparatively small rise of the tongue.
ü To pull down the lower jaw.
ü To give voice and pronounce the similar to Russian [a] and [э]. The lips must be half open.
6) Doubling of a consonant is an indicator of a short meaning of the previous vowel. Doubling of a consonant doesn’t mean, as a rule, doubling of a consonant sound: e.g. bill.
In particular, a short vowel sound with the following consonant sound [r] can be denoted only with the help of doubling of the consonant “r”: e.g. carry, hurry, sorry.
7) the letters “l, s” at the end of monosyllabic word, as a rule, are doubled. The combination “ss” means the voiceless sound [s] : e.g. less [les].
8) The combination”ck” denotes the sound [ k] and is used for doubling as of the letter “k” so of the letter “c”.
9) In a few words, as an exception, short sounds are denoted by combinations: e.g. in the word build and in the words of the same roots building, builder the second vowel is read in its short meaning. The same is in the words friend, friendship.
The combination “ea” as an exception in some words before the letters “d, r, v” and combinations “th, lth” can denote a short sound [e]: e.g. head, bread, already, heavy, healthy.
Ex. 1(from Test your pronunciation Unit 8, disc)
Read the following names and decide, from their spelling, if the vowel is short or long. (If there is more than one vowel, focus on the vowel receiving most stress.) If you are not sure, check the recording.
Example:Mick = short Susan = long
|Short vowel sound||Long vowel sound|
Ex. 2(from Test your pronunciation Unit 26)
A: Here are the twelve pairs of rhyming words. In each case, one has an expected spelling for the particular sound and one has not. Choose which is the more predictable spelling.
Example: cheque neck
(compare neck with peck, deck, wreck, speck and so on)
B: And here are some pairs of words which look as though they should rhyme, but don’t. Choose the one which has the more predictable relationship between pronunciation and spelling.
Ex. 3(from Test your pronunciation Unit 27, disc)
A: In this section the spelling is 100% predictable from the pronunciation. Listen to the recording and write these individual words down.
B: Now see if you can read the following words aloud before you listen to them on the recording. Remember that the pronunciation is still predictable from the spelling.
C: Now do the same with the following nonsense words.
· It doesn’t matter if you don’t know what the words in A andBmean; you can always check them in a dictionary afterwards. Don’t look in a dictionary for the nonsense words in C.
– Конец работы –
Эта тема принадлежит разделу:
Лингвогуманитарный колледж Учреждения образования... Минский государственный лингвистический университет... Раздел I Сегментная фонетика...
Если Вам нужно дополнительный материал на эту тему, или Вы не нашли то, что искали, рекомендуем воспользоваться поиском по нашей базе работ: Reading of a stressed vowel in its short meaning. Short vowels of the English language.